About Me

My photo
Crafts have always been a big part of my life. They have been my obsession yet kept me sane. My latest obsession is crochet. Wool and the finished products have taken over the house. A blog seems like the next step in my woolie journey wherever that takes me. Feel free to pop in and see what I am up to.

Sunday, 14 October 2012

Dying in the kitchen.

I delved head first into the art of microwave dying today, but I can't tell if it's been a success yet or not!

Earlier this year I came across a large cone of cream chenille yarn at a bargain price but it was quite fine and I had no real idea of what I would use it for.  The label on the cone says it's cashmere but I doubt it very much! I did the burn test and it burned yellow and very quickly, smelt like paper burning and ended in a very fine ash so I suspect it's viscose. Added to that it breaks very easily.  So it was put in the press and forgotten about.

Today I was on my own in the house for the first time in ages and was looking for a fun project to do.  When I'm 'home alone' for any length of time I tend to spread my craft stuff around because I'm not in anybodies way and don't have to tidy up the kitchen table so people can eat!

Looking around the studio for some inspiration, I spotted some Dylon dyes on a shelf and suddenly remembered the cone of yarn and decided to try a spot of experimenting with microwave dying.  Now I've always been the type of person who reads the instruction AFTER the fact so after the minimal research, and a spot of improvisation I ended up making it up as I went along!  But I had so much fun!

I wound off about 300 yards into a hank and tied it in three places.  After washing the hank I placed it in an old plastic bowl (long retired from kitchen use) intending to use put the whole lot in the microwave after hand-painting the yarn. After a few quick colour tests on the yarn, I chose red and brown as the two dyes to use and using a couple of old brushes, painted the hank. I covered the bowl with clingfilm and brought it into the kitchen only to find the bowl was too big for the microwave!

Plan B;- I found a large plate I didn't use (and that fitted in the microwave!) and turned the hank of yarn onto it with the clingfilm between it and the plate. The rest of the clingfilm was folded up over the hank and then the plate was placed in the microwave.  It was heated on 80% for two minutes and left to sit for about forty minutes.

At that stage I thought it might be a good idea to put on a pair of rubber gloves before washing out the surplus dye!  After a good few washes the hank was wrung out and placed over a bent hanger to dry.  And that's where it is now.

 Actually it doesn't look too bad so I hope I will be able to use it.  Will let you know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment